Wednesday, November 7, 2007

Garlicy, peppery chicken & potatoes

This is an old standby of mine - the kinda recipe I give to my husband over the phone so he can make if I'm running late :)

Ingredients:
4 Chicken breasts
1 -2 tbs red pepper flakes
salt & pepper to taste
Garlic cloves - a whole head, peeled, whole
olive oil
potatoes - how ever many you need
aluminum foil
2 oven safe dishes

Main Course
  • In an oven safe dish I place my cleaned (trimmed fat) chicken breasts
  • Cover the chicken with olive oil
  • add about a tablespoon of red pepper flakes to the olive oil (add up to two if you like things hot)
  • place 1/2 of the cloves in the dish in the olive oil
  • Cover with foil
  • Bake at 400 degrees until cooked - which should be about 30minutes

To make the side of potatoes with it -
  • mix some olive oil; red pepper flakes; salt & black pepper and toss cubed potatoes in it
  • place in oven safe dish and bake with the olive oil you coated it in....sometimes I add a little extra than just a coating so they don't stick to the dish.
  • The Potatoes will take longer than 30 minutes so they should be placed in the oven first so that the chicken doesn't dry out while waiting for the potatoes

  • TIP: I've tried cooking the chicken & potatoes together in one dish and it just hasn't worked for me b/c the potatoes don't get that crispiness that I love so much - they get too mushy bc they are nearly drowned in olive oil when cooked w/the chicken.
  • I also like to serve this with a veggie so I recommend steamed broccoli...you can always add some of the left over olive oil from the chicken to the broccoli for extra flavor...also I sometimes remove olive oil and use it for bread dipping - especially since its got those HUGE cloves of garlic that are in it and ALL tasty!
Hope you enjoy!!! :)

No comments: